If you have been searching for a quick and easy dessert, look no further! This blueberry coffee cake is truly the best! This recipe is really quick to mix up and in the oven in a matter of minutes and sure to be a favorite of your family.
The best blueberry coffee cake recipe was sent to us by one of our U-Pick blueberry customer’s a long time ago. She told us it had been in her family for quite some time and was a favorite of theirs. Of course as soon as I made it, it quickly became a favorite of ours as well.
During blueberry picking season at our U-Pick farm this year, this recipe was printed up on cards and were free for anyone who wanted to pick one up. The recipe cards were all taken in the first week of our farm being open. Since it would take at least a week for me to get more made at the printers I didn’t have time to get more to share with all of our customers.
Do you have blueberries in your freezer from blueberry picking season that you need to use up? If so, then give this blueberry coffee cake a try.
The Best Blueberry Coffee Cake is amazingly fast to assemble
You’ll find that this comes together super fast and uses ingredients your sure to have on hand. This quick and easy recipe only takes a few minutes to stir up, no mixer needed and it can be assembled in the time your waiting for the oven to heat up.
- One stick of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the stick of butter in a 9×13 pan and place it in the oven to melt while your oven is heating up. Be sure not to leave it in too long so it doesn’t brown. Pour the melted butter out into a cup and set aside.
2. While your butter is melting mix the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt into an mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Break 1 egg in a 1 cup measuring cup and then fill to the 1 cup line with milk. Lightly beat the egg and milk with a fork then add the milk and egg mixture to the above dry ingredients and mix by hand until thoroughly mixed.
4. Pour your batter into the pan that you previously melted your butter in and spread it around. Then take the melted butter you saved and pour it over the batter in the pan.
5. Next you will take 1/2 to 3/4 cup of brown sugar and sprinkle over the top of the batter. If your like me I just do a couple of hands full of the brown sugar and don’t measure.
6. Then sprinkle your desired amount of cinnamon over the top of the brown sugar. Feel free to do as little or as much as you like. I always tend to give it a heavy sprinkle because our family really likes cinnamon. Of course if your not a big cinnamon fan then you could use just a little bit.
7. Lastly, the final step is to top it with 2 cups of blueberries. These can be fresh or frozen blueberries. I have made it with both and it comes out wonderful every time. That is the beautiful thing about blueberries is they freeze so well and work so good in baked goods of all kinds.
Now to bake the Best Blueberry Coffee Cake
Now your blueberry coffee cake is ready to place in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until the batter is set and the top is lightly browned.
Need to make the best blueberry coffee cake allergy friendly?
Are you looking to make this cake allergy friendly? This recipe works great to convert to gluten-free and dairy-free. Simply substitute the milk for coconut milk, or any dairy free milk that you prefer. I use dairy free butter or coconut oil in place of the stick of butter, whichever you have on hand, both works fine. For the flour I like to use Bob’s Gluten Free 1:1 flour blend to substitute for the wheat flour. If you have a favorite gluten-free flour you like feel free to give it a try. Regardless of which brand I use it always turns out great every time and I haven’t ever had anyone know that it has been converted to allergy friendly. That makes it a win for everyone!
Give this quick and easy cake a try and let me know if it becomes a favorite in your home. One other tip I have learned, it is just as fast to make 2 at a time and share with a neighbor or friend. Brew up a pot of coffee or hot tea to go along with it and you have the perfect dessert or morning breakfast. Enjoy Friends!